Late on the night of Aug. 17, 1969, Hurricane Camille stormed past the mouth of the Mississippi River as it sped toward a brutal assault on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We scoured the internet and found 10 shocking photos that show the true power of this massive hurricane.
1. A House Removed From It's Foundation
This home near Buras, LA was lifted off it's foundation and deposited next to a stop sign.
2. Car Auto Shop Underwater
This paint and auto body shop in Home Place, LA was flooded during the storm.
3. Canal Street Before the Storm
Windows were taped (not a good idea) and streets were calm the morning of Camille's landfall.
5. Homes Underwater
A driver surveys the damage 3 miles north of Buras, LA.
6. Flooded Streets in the 9th Ward
7. Pass Christian, Mississippi Main Business District
8. A Police Officer Stands Guard Over Wreckage
9. Residents Lineup For Government Trailers
Those who lost their home stand in line to apply for government trailers.
10. A Pile of Wreckage Where the Post Office Used to Stand